Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Free Your Mind

Why oh why must it be this way?
Before you can read me Joe, you gotta learn how to see me
Free your mind, and the customers will follow.

Wise words. And Joe should be wise to the fact rogue is in vogue.

Seriously Joe, before you can read your customers you have to learn how to see your customers. Just because you see some salsa dancing flyers posted at El Pollo Rico or Costa Verde when you're there for dinner because you can't stomach the zesty wings or you need a break from interveiwing the latest job applicant in your dungeon doesn't mean that salsa dancing works for Summers. Know your customers and know your audience.

Besides, quantity does not equal quality and just because you see a few signs doesn't mean its cool, let alone good for business. I see a lot of signs in Arlington for Capital One Bank but those television commercials with the Great 8 and the Furious 5 are so awful that the more that I see them the less that I want to give my money to Capital One Bank. In an odd coincidence, the more salsa dancing posters I see at Summers, the less I want to give them my money.

At some level, I appreciate the effort. I do like going to Summers and I applaud every effort to make it better, but you actually have to try and make it better. You can't just throw shit against the wall and see if it sticks.

Now, I don't want to get off on a rant here, but one of the benefits of social media is the ability to listen to customers. The whole point is to listen, not to tell. So again I say that before you read me, you gotta learn how to see me.

If you think every blog post, tweet, Facebook status update, yelp review, or e-mail is rogue, you're missing the point.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, SPEAK UP, SONNY! I CAN'T HEAR YA! Second of all, WHERE ARE YA, SONNY?! ARE YA HIDIN'? I CAN'T SEE YA! Third of all, my greatest physical achievement in this life was successfully imprisoning my dirty, human mind for all of eternity and it's going to take more than some invisible, inaudible punk to make me give up the keys this late in the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you can't hear nothin because you play your shitty lounge music too loud. Maybe you can't see nothin because its so fucking dark in the back bar all the time. The only key you need is the key to the lee highway and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

    ReplyDelete